Two persons were killed when a fire broke out on the 20th floor of a famous tower in south Mumbai. 

A fire broke out in the 20th and 21st floor of a house in Tower A of Maker Tower in Cuffe Parade on Tuesday morning. The flats are reportedly owned by the Managing Director of Bajaj Electricals, Shekhar Bajaj.

A resident, who assisted the fire rescue teams, told India Today TV that the two flats house were owned by the Bajaj family and that they had interconnected the two houses with a wooden staircase. 

"A fire broke out in the 20th floor of the building while Mr Bajaj was doing yoga with an instructor," the unidentified resident told the channel. 

He said that after the fire rescue rescued Bajaj and his wife from the 20th floor, they had to try and rescue the executive's son and family trapped on the upper floor. 

While the executive's son and his family were also safely rescued, two domestic help who were in the house at the time were reported to have died. Fire officials said that 11 persons had been rescued from the building, reported NDTV.

The resident who assisted in the rescue said that a short circuit is suspected to be the cause of the fire. Fire officials have not commented on this and have said it took two hours to bring the fire under control.