After an Indian soldier mistakenly crossed into Pakistan last month across the Line of Control (LoC), the Pakistan army has finally reportedly confirmed that he is in their custody.
According to a report by the Indian Express, the first official confirmation of the whereabouts of Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan was conveyed on Thursday by officials of the Pakistan Army’s military operations to their Indian counterparts over the official hotline.
On September 30, 22-year-old Chavan from the 37 Rashtriya Rifles, had inadvertently crossed over the Line of Control and was missing. Pakistan had been informed by the Indian Army over the hotline between the two forces.
His crossing came just a day after India said that it's armed forces had carried out surgical strikes on terror-linked installations acorss the border in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. However, the Army had clarified that Chavan was not part of that operation.
"Such inadvertent crossings by the army and civilians are not unusual on either side. They are returned through existing mechanisms," the Indian Army had then said.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has assured that the release of the Indian soldier was being taken up with Islamabad and all efforts are being made to ensure his early release.
Chavan had allegedly been captured by Pakistani troops at Jhandroot, west of Mankote, and was now being kept at the military headquarters in Nikayal for interrogation.
Chavan belongs to Borvihir village in Dhule district in Maharashtra. He had lost his parents when he was young and was raised by his grandparents.
On October 1, his grandmother died of shock when she heard about Chavan being captured by the Pakistani forces, reported The Times of India.
(Feature image source: Twitter| India TV)