About ten days after the horrific gangrape incident that took place on the Delhi-Kanpur highway near Bulandshahr, the prime accused Saleem Bawaria has been arrested by the police.
Bawaria was arrested alongwith two of his accomplices Zubair and Sajid from Mawana tehsil of Meerut on Monday night. This takes the total number of those nabbed in connection with the incident to six.
On Monday, DGP Javeed Ahmad tweeted :
Remaining 3 accused in Bulandshr case arrested after week long chase across east India.— Javeed (@javeeddgpup) August 8, 2016
Declining to give details, he said that all the three accused were picked up by the police during raids. The arrests come on a day the Allahabad High Court sought within a week an appropriate reply from the Uttar Pradesh government on a PIL seeking a direction for a CBI probe into the Bulandshahr gangrape case.
Uttar Pradesh Police had earlier arrested--Naresh (25), Bablu (22) and Rais (28)--and detained a dozen others after launching a massive hunt for the bandits suspected to be behind the crime.
Accusing the Samajwadi Party government of "protecting and appeasing" criminals ahead of the Assembly polls slated next year, BJP had asked Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to seek a CBI probe in the case if he has any "shame" left.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said he would order a CBI probe if the family demanded.