After giving free data plans under its welcome offer for three months, Reliance Jio Chairman Mukesh Ambani on Thursday announced that the company would continue to give free data plans to users till March 31, 2017.
Here's a brief list of the announcements made by Ambani in his speech today:
- Reliance Jio will provide free data plans to new users till March 31, 2017 under its Jio Happy New Year Offer.
- All existing customers will also be switched to the new scheme so that they can also use free data till March 31, 2017.
1/4 Starting 4 December 2016, every new Jio user will get Jio’s Data, Voice, Video and the full bouquet of Jio applications…: Mukesh Ambani— Reliance Jio (@reliancejio) December 1, 2016
2/4 …absolutely FREE, till 31 March 2017: Mukesh Ambani— Reliance Jio (@reliancejio) December 1, 2016
- Data plans will be capped at 1 GB per user per day for the duration of this offer to prevent some users from using too much data and hindering others.
In #Jio Happy New Year Offer, we have fine-tuned our fair usage policy to ensure all users get fair share of network capacity: Mukesh Ambani— Reliance Jio (@reliancejio) December 1, 2016
- Jio supports mobile number portability to attract customers of other telecom networks.
- You can now get a new Jio SIM card delivered home. "Get a Jio SIM home-delivered and activated in 5 minutes through eKYC," Ambani said.
- In this period, Jio customers will also be able to test the JioMoney wallet, the company's new mobile wallet for which it has tied up with the nation's biggest public sector bank, State Bank of India.
- The company's chairman said a key factor in adopting digital currency was the ability to convert money into digital and physical form. To facilitate that, the company will expand its reach to millions of touch points where micro-ATMs will be deployed, Ambani said.