While you may have gone in to watch Anurag Kashyap's recent crime-thriller, Raman Raghav 2.0, for the fabulous performances of Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Vicky Kaushal, you couldn't have walked out of the theatre without thinking about the newcomer who played Simmy. Making her debut opposite powerhouse actors Nawaz and Vicky Kaushal and yet leaving a mark, Sobhita Dhulipala is indeed the surprise package of the movie.
Her phenomenal performance managed to get the entire film industry's attention and she's only going to scale further heights from here. Highly impressed with her debut performance, Phantom Films, according to recent reports by Mumbai Mirror, has already signed her for a 3-film deal.
While we can't wait to watch how Sobhita's talents are put to use by the people at Phantom, here are some things you need to know about the girl of the moment:
1. Sobhita was born in Tenali, Andhra Pradesh. She moved to Visakhapatnam along with her family when she was three and spent most of her childhood there.
2. She moved to Mumbai with her family for higher studies and graduated with a degree in commerce and economics from HR College. Sobhita wanted to become an IAS officer. Her entry into the entertainment industry was purely by chance.
3. She marked her entry into the world of modelling with the highly-reputed Kingfisher Calendar for the year 2014.
4. Sobhita had to do an intimate scene with Vicky Kaushal, a complete stranger to her, for her audition. Anurag Kashyap was so floored by her acting that he offered her the role within 45 minutes of the audition.
5. She was nominated in the Critics’ Choice Best Performance category at Cannes for her power-packed performance in Raman Raghav 2.0. Sobhita also mentioned how it became difficult to go back to her normal life, after portraying an intensely dark character in the movie.
6. Sobhita is trained in Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi dance forms and she enjoys writing poetry. She also loves backpacking, which gives her an opportunity to experience local cuisines and cultures.
7. She was Miss India Earth 2013 and also represented India at Miss Earth 2013 in Philippines. Here, she was crowned as Miss Photogenic, Miss Eco Beauty and Miss Talent.
8. As far as her upcoming project is concerned, it is rumoured that Sobhita has been signed by Shekhar Kapur for the revival of his much-talked about film, Paani.