Telangana Chief Minister, K Chandrasekhar Rao's belief in astrology is now influencing his ambitious afforestation programme, and he has encouraged the state's citizens to plant saplings corresponding to their respective zodiac signs, reports Hindustan Times.
Rao on Friday launched the two-week-long programme in Nalgonda district of Telangana which aims to have 46 crore saplings planted across the state this monsoon.
But why zodiac signs? It's because Rao believes that planting trees with matching zodiac signs will bring good luck to not only the individual, but also to the state, says the report.
Some examples of trees corresponding to their respective zodiac signs would be:
- A banyan sapling if one is born under the Pisces sign.
- A red sanders if one is a Aries
- A jackfruit sapling if one is a Gemini
To fulfil the chief minister's wishes, over 4000 nurseries have reportedly chalked out an elaborate list of trees as per the preferred zodiac signs.
In fact, the Telangana government will be planting 25 lakh saplings in a single day at over 4,000 locations in and around Hyderabad on Monday.
Over 100 state government and central government organisations, NGOs, IT firms and educational institutions will be participating in this initiative.
This isn't the first time that the Telangana Chief Minister's made a decision influenced by astrology. Here are a few instances:
- Rao cancelled his visit to the Sri Raja Rajeshwara Swamy Devasthanam in Vemulawada on Maha Shivratri on February 17, 2015 after astrologers warned him that offering prayers at this ancient temple might affect his political career.
- He was chastised by many for 'wasting' Rs 15 crore on performing a religious ritual last year, aimed to appease the gods when the state was reeling under severe drought.
- Rao reportedly even decided to shift the Telangana Secretariat from its present location reportedly due vaastu.
- He even reportedly ordered for the colour of official vehicles to be changed from black to white.