Villagers on Thursday refused to cremate the body of 22-year-old Ravi, an accused in the Dadri lynching case, in Bishada village in Uttar Pradesh. Ravi alias Robin died at the Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Hospital in Delhi on Wednesday. 

Villagers draped his coffin with the Indian tricolour, claiming that he had been martyred protecting "Hindu values". 

Tensions rose as the body reached the village, as villagers rejected Ravi's death report and claimed he had been murdered. 

Police personnel were present in large numbers in the area. But despite seeing that the body had been draped with a tricolour, policemen and administration officials, preferred to remain mum fearing that their objections might spark violence in the area. 

"Villagers demanded Rs 1 crore for deceased's family, the arrest of Akhlaq's brother Jaan Mohammad in a cow slaughter case and an FIR against the jailer," Sanjay Rana, a BJP leader and father of one of the other accused in the case, said. 

"Villagers told the administration that they will not cremate the body till their demands are met," he said.

The District Magistrate of Gautam Buddh Nagar, NP Singh, said the state government would give its consent for a CBI probe if the deceased individual's family isn't satisfied with the ongoing inquiry. 

The DM said a judicial inquiry had been initiated, adding that the Chief Judicial Magistrate is conducting it. 

Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has announced Rs 10 lakh compensation to the deceased Ravi's wife Pooja. 

The Uttar Pradesh Police has claimed that Ravi was suffering from high fever and his death was suspected to be due to dengue. Ravi's brother Vicky, however, claimed that he was 'assaulted by police in jail' due to which he sustained injuries. 

The state government had earlier said that the jailer of the prison where Ravi was held would be transferred once the probe found him guilty. But in an apparent attempt to pacify villagers, the jailer SK Pandey was transferred to Lucknow. 

The National Human Rights Commission has issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government and demanded a reply from district administration. The postmortem was conducted yesterday in Delhi under the supervision of a Metropolitan Magistrate from a local court.