Migrant Crisis: Boat Carrying Hundreds Sinks Off Libya; 200 Feared Dead

A boat packed with migrants sank off the Libyan coastal city of Zuwara on August 27 and officials said hundreds might have died.

A security official in Zuwara, asking not to be named, said there had been several hundred people on board and some appeared to have been trapped in the hold when it capsized.

“Some 100 illegal migrants have survived,” he said, adding that rescue operations were continuing.

Another local official and a journalist based in Zuwara confirmed the sinking but had no information on casualties.

The migrants on board had been from sub-Saharan Africa, Pakistan, Syria, Morocco and Bangladesh, the security official said.

The Italian coastguard, which has been coordinating rescue operations by the European Union off the Libyan coast, could not immediately confirm a sinking.

Zuwara, near the Tunisian border, is a major launchpad for smugglers shipping migrants to the Italy.

More than 2,300 people have died this year in attempts to reach Europe by boat, compared with 3,279 during the whole of last year, according to the International Organisation for Migration.

Read more:

Migrant Boat Capsizes In Mediterranean Sea, 25 Dead, Rescue Operation On

You might also like
AWW! Nick Jonas Wears A Mangalsutra In Latest Video? Here Are 3 More Celeb Green Flag Husband Moments (Virat, Vicky & More)
Hips Don’t Lie, And Neither Do We! Shakira Is REALLY Coming To India After 2 Decades; When, Where & How To Book Tickets
Not An Act Of Charity: Bombay High Court Says Child Need Not Carry Absent Father’s Name; Know The Full Ruling Here!
The Viral Abandoned Baby Monkey Hugged A Plushie, And The Internet Hugged Him Back; Know The Full Story Here!
Taapsee Pannu Starrer Assi Is Painfully Real, Triggering But Comes With An Ending Almost Too Euphoric
Inside Delhi’s AI Impact Summit: Modi’s MANAV Vision, Ambani’s Big Bet, And The Chaos In Delhi To Top It All