Bollywood movies with all their drama, song and dance, are known for their happy endings, but for a lot of actors, real life is far from the happily ever after seen on screen. Like in the case of Karishma Kapoor’s divorce that has stretched for years, and has got a fresh twist with the actress filing a case of dowry harassment case against Sunjay, NDTV reported.
Karisma’s marriage to business tycoon Sunjay Kapur came after her engagement with Abhishek Bachchan broke down. But while the high-profile wedding seemed like the beginning of a fairy tale, reports of the relationship running into trouble began surfacing after a few years.
Here’s how the story of Lolo’s not so happily married life unfolded in the media over the years.
- After getting engaged to the Abhishek Bachchan in 2002, the fourth generation Kapoor girl parted ways with him in Januray 2003, said a report in The Times Of India.
- Even as speculation about the reason their behind the break-up was rife, Karisma married Delhi-based businessman Sunjay Kapoor in September 2003, a report in India Today stated.
- Karisma seemed content in her new life. Daughter Samaira was born in 2005 followed by the birth of son Kiaan in 2010.
- But, according to this report in The Indian Express, the cracks begin to show soon after Samaira’s birth. Soon after Kiaan’s birth, Karisma moved to Mumbai with her children and lived with mother Babita.
- Amid rumours about Sunjay Kapur dating Priya Chatwal, Karisma and he decided to part ways in 2012, but had to decide on the custody of their children.
- In November 2013, reports claimed that Karisma Kapoor was dating business tycoon Sandeep Toshniwal, who was also going through a rough patch in his marriage, reports in Zee News suggested.
- After a series of disagreements, the couple filed for divorce by mutual consent in June 2014, after a harsh exchange of words in court.
- But then the couple triggered speculation about them getting back together when they were seen at a dance show where their daughter Samaira was performing in November 2014, NDTV reported.
- The divorce was pushed back further as Karisma and Sunjay had differences over a welfare trust set up for their two minor children, and Sunjay filed for custody of the children, NDTV reported.
- In November 2015, Karisma Kapoor refused to consent to the divorce alleging that Sunjay Kapur failed to meet financial commitments, and things got ugly, India Today reported.
- In a fresh divorce petition filed in January 2016, Sunjay claimed that Karisma married him for his money, and extracted money from his family in a calculated and clinical manner, The Times Of India reported.
- To this Karisma’s father Randhir Kapoor responded by saying, “Sunjay is a third class man. I never wanted Karisma marrying him. He has debauchery in his system and never cared for his wife.”
- The situation got worse in February 2016 when Sunjay demanded transfer of the case from Mumbai to Delhi claiming that he was threatened by gangster Ravi Pujari, Hindustan Times reported.
- On February 27, 2016, Karisma Kapoor filed a complaint against Sunjay and his mother, accusing them of mental cruelty and harassment for dowry.
Feature image source: AFP