William Ross was spot on when he said that. This statement holds more truth than anything else I’ve read. Just as much as we are meant to breathe air, drink water & eat food to survive, we are required to live life to the fullest. We will only live once. It’s not like you can leave something for the next life, because there won’t be any. You need to start living now. Before old age & death come knocking, because they will, you need to smile when you look back at life and have no regrets.
We can’t know everything you want to do, but here’s a list of things you must do that’ll get you closer to the ‘no-regrets’ stage later in life:
1. Backpack solo to a country in another corner of the world. Getting lost is how you’ll find yourself.
2. Keep a pet. That’s how you’ll become responsible.
3. Pick up a bad habit & drop it. That is how you learn.
4. Kiss a stranger. Some words are felt, not spoken.
5. Play a sport with all your heart. Nothing compares to the thrill of a well-earned victory or a hard-fought loss.
6. Take up a job that involves manual labour. It will teach you about hardships.
7. Volunteer in an NGO. It will teach you so much more.
8. Learn a different language. Maybe French or Spanish or how about sign language? To some, actions speak louder than words.
9. Start or at least try to start your own business. That’s how you will taste success or failure.
10. Take some time off doing nothing. A little rest never hurts.
11. Learn to play at least one musical instrument. Music speaks where words fail.
12. Scuba dive, swim underwater, sky dive, paraglide or ski if you want to, but do something extreme. That’s how you shut the world out.
13. Retire to a village for sometime. It’s simpler to get a simple life there.
14. Love. It is the only thing where falling is a good thing.
15. Write about all that you’ve done. Memories are the only thing that you will remember & take with you.
“Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.” – Anon