We all are weary of the hunger bug that keeps biting time and again in office. Generally, you are so stressed out you do not mind what you're eating and just gobble down the next best thing available. You go on a guilt trip later and vow to yourself that you'll be more careful next time but as they say, history repeats itself. Maybe it's time to break that vicious circle and adopt healthier snack options for those office time hunger pangs. These snacks are going to save you from the post afternoon slump and keep you energized. Check out this list and adopt the options that suit your taste buds the best.
1. Instead of chocolates, you can have energy bars or protein bars.
Protein bars can be a good snacking option when you are feeling low on energy. However, you should be careful about choosing a brand that is low in sugar content.
2. Rather than going for ice cream, choose yoghurt.
The best part about yoghurt is that it is as tasty as it is healthy. It's a quick filler and leaves you feeling satiated for a long time. You can couple it up with nuts, fruits or berries to enhance taste and nutrients.
3. Instead of cheese sandwiches, have a combination of nuts and string cheese.
You should go for nuts with lower calories like macadamias, pecans, almonds, and hazelnuts. They are rich in nutrients and give you the required mood and energy lift. Cheese gives you protein and essential fats.
4. A healthier alternative to bread-omelettes is hard boiled eggs.
Eggs are unarguably the healthiest snack option. They are quick and easy to eat. Besides being rich in protein, they also stabilise blood sugars. They keep your heart healthy and are a good source of vitamins too.
5. Instead of desserts, have apple and peanut butter to satisfy that sweet tooth.
Apples are magical fruits, they give you energy, nutrients and fiber. Adding a little peanut butter with apple gives you the right amount of fat and is a good source of protein and fiber. Just be careful not to binge-eat it.
6. Instead of ordering a sub, have a salad made of tomato slices with mozzarella cheese.
This is a healthy and tasty go-to salad. It's super easy to make, you can add a drizzle of olive oil if possible. This Mediterranean food provides you with healthy fats and vitamins.
7. Ditch your fried snacks and munch on roasted chickpeas.
It's best if you consume the unsalted version. Chickpeas are a good source of carbohydrates, healthy fats and proteins. They are rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins, thus, inevitably one of the best options on the list.
8. Instead of eating Maggi, have low-sugar oatmeal with nut butter.
Oatmeal will give you the much-needed satisfaction of an evening snack, but remember to choose the low-sugar brands. Moreover, adding a little bit of nut butter enhances the flavour and gives you the required amount of fats.
9. Packaged fruit juices aren't half as healthy as a piece of fruit with some nuts.
Eating either of these by themselves will not give you the complete satisfaction or nutrients. It is better to combine a few of each to have a balanced snack. You can choose fruits like banana, avocado, strawberries or kiwis.
10. Instead of popping candies, have unsweetened dried fruits like dried mango, dried apple, dried pear, and dried banana.
You can carry them around in a zip lock bag and munch on a couple now and then without feeling guilty as it is unsweetened. However, they are concentrated in nutrients and vitamins, so make sure you check the total amount you are having.
11. Instead of soft drinks, have protein shake with a piece of fruit.
You can carry the whey in a shaker with you and add water whenever you feel like consuming. Combining the drink with a piece of fruit will help you get the necessary vitamins and minerals alongside protein.
12. Instead of a greasy paneer roll, opt for cottage cheese topped with berries.
Cottage cheese is rich in proteins and makes you feel full till your next meal. You can top it up with some fruits or berries and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon for that extra flavour.
13. Instead of snacking on fried chips, choose baby carrots to pass your time.
Carrots are a great munching snack as they help you kill time and load you up with nutrients and fiber. It's a win-win situation. You can pair it up with a little hummus.
14. Rather than having cream biscuits, have whole wheat crackers with peanut butter.
Make sure to choose the right kind of crackers, the ones that are rich in fiber and low in calories. You can team it up with a little peanut butter to enhance taste and get essential fats.
15. Instead of milk or regular chocolate, choose dark chocolate.
A little splurging here and there doesn't harm anyone. Dark chocolate is a storehouse of minerals and is good for days when you have an active sweet tooth. It improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure. It also helps relieve cramps.
Happy snacking to you.