What if we told you that the candles you blow out on the auspicious occasion of your birthday might increase your susceptibility to bacteria? That’s right. A video of a man refusing to blow out the candles on his cake got us thinking about the same and it’s not funny. You actually open a gateway and willingly invite germs into your body with this time old tradition. 

A study conducted by Clemson University found that there was a remarkable increase in bacteria on the cake when candles were blown out. 

giphy

So each time you go phooo at the candles and (unconsciously) spit into the cake, the amount of bacteria just grows. In fact, there’s a warning issued against it by Austria’s National Health And Welfare Council. Yeah, it’s that serious. 

So here’s a tip for the next birthday you celebrate or attend- wave your hand to blow out the candles. That would mean no fancy firework candles on the cake, but it’s not much of a price in lieu of good health right?

You’re welcome. Cheers!