Kashmir remained tense and normal life paralysed due to curfew and strike for the 27th day on Thursday in the wake of the ongoing unrest, even as a massive crackdown has been launched by police to arrest the “trouble-makers”. 

Most of the main towns across the Valley continued to remain under curfew in view of the unrelenting protests. Curfew remained in force in Anantnag, Shopian and Pampore towns of south Kashmir, Khanpora town in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district and in six police station areas of Srinagar, a police official said. 

The official said restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under section 144 CrPC have been imposed in the rest of the Valley as a precautionary measure. He said security forces have been deployed in strength in sensitive areas to maintain law and order. 

b’A man wrapped in a Pakistani flag participates in a protest in Srinagar against the recent killings in Kashmir | Reutersxc2xa0′

Dozens of persons, including several security force personnel, were injured in the clashes between protestors and security forces in many parts of the Valley on Wednesday with Kulgam district in south Kashmir witnessing large-scale violence. 

Police have launched a massive crackdown against “hooligans and miscreants” in Kashmir in a bid to end the street protests, arresting nearly 500 youth from across the Valley. 

Normal life in the Valley remained affected for the 27th consecutive day due to the curbs imposed by the authorities and separatist sponsored strike against the killing of civilians in security forces action during clashes, which erupted in the wake of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani’s killing in an encounter on July 8. 

b’A demonstrator hurls a stone towards Indian police during a protest in Srinagar against the recent killings in Kashmir | Reuters’

Protests broke out across Kashmir Valley on July 9, leading to clashes with security forces in which 51 persons have been killed. Schools, colleges, business establishments, petrol pumps, banks and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off roads. The attendance in government offices was also thin, the official said. 

Some activity has been taking place for the last couple of days after 6 PM as many shops and business establishments open after sundown as the separatists have announced a relaxation in the agitation programme to allow people to buy essentials in view of the prolonged shut down. 

Mobile Internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where the outgoing facility on prepaid connections is barred. The separatist camp has extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till August 5, calling for a march to Hazratbal shrine on the banks of the famous Dal Lake.

(Feature image source: Reuters)