A masked gunman barricaded himself in a German multiplex cinema with dozens of people Thursday before being killed by police on high security alert following a string of attacks around Europe, officials said.

No-one else was injured at the complex in the western town of Viernheim, 75 kilometres (50 miles) south of Frankfurt, the interior minister of Hesse state, Peter Beuth, said.

“The assailant moved through the cinema complex… and appeared confused,” he said. “There were hostages inside and there was a struggle (with police) until in the end he was dead.”

Beuth added: “We have no information that anyone (among the cinema-goers) was injured.”

b’Police preparing for the raid at the multiplex | Source: Reuters’

Security sources quoted by German news agency DPA said there was “no link to terrorism”, after deadly attacks in cities including Paris, Brussels and Istanbul that have left European authorities on edge.

A police spokesman said the attacker was seen carrying a bag.

Access to the cinema was sealed off for several hours as police searched for possible explosives but the local Mannheimer Morgen newspaper quoted the police later as saying no explosives were found.

Huri Blakaj, 21, was behind the counter in the ticket office when he saw the man, whom he described as small and youthful-looking, heading towards him. Blakaj hit a panic button located under the cash register.

“He pointed his gun at me,” said a visibly shaken Blakaj.

The assailant, who spoke in German without a distinguishable accent, told the other cashiers to lie on the ground while ordering Blakaj to close the door to the building. When Blakaj asked him whether he wanted money, the man replied “no”, he recounted.

Shortly afterwards, Blakaj said, he heard a volley of gunfire that lasted “around 20 seconds”.

b’German special police were called in to the theatre | Source: Reuters’

Beuth, Hesse’s interior minister, said: “We received a call at 2:45 pm saying that a man had stormed” the cinema.

“Four gunshots were reported,” he added.

“I called the police and told them to come immediately,” the cinema manager told Bild daily without giving her name.

Around three hours after the incident began, police began leaving the scene.

Mass shootings are relatively rare in Germany where gun ownership is prevalent but firearm sales and storage are subject to strict regulation.

Featured image source: Reuters