While the council of ministers were taking oath last evening at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, every Indian was hoping to see External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj swearing in as a Cabinet minister. But that did not happen.
One of the most liked ministers in the previous government, she did not contest elections this time and will not be a part of the Modi 2.0 Cabinet. With over 12.8 million followers on Twitter, her constant activity on social media made her an all-time favourite.
Here are 12 times Sushma Swaraj left an indelible impression on Indians as the most efficient and admired Foreign Minister.
1. When Sushma Swaraj met Hamid Ansari on his return from Pakistan jail. She also hugged and congratulated his mother.
#WATCH Indian National Hamid Ansari who came to India after being released from a Pakistan jail yesterday, meets External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in Delhi. His mother tells EAM "Mera Bharat mahaan, meri madam mahaan, sab madam ne hi kiya hai." pic.twitter.com/FQEzz99Ohm— ANI (@ANI) December 19, 2018
2. When she responded to a man on social media who was surprised to see a politician being concerned about the citizens.
Please do not have such notions. Indian politicians are sensitive and very helpful. https://t.co/9U0Rdxvn8q— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 23, 2016
3. When she fulfilled her promise to a man who needed a visa for his mother to Qatar.
We have organised Qatar visa for your mother. I pray for your father's early recovery. https://t.co/BxKc1dC5Mc— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 23, 2016
4. When she helped an Indian man in getting married to a Pakistani woman.
Dear Mam @SushmaSwaraj I really need your help, I beg please help me by providing Indian visa for my wedding function. Give the response— Sabahat Fatima (@SabahatFatima12) November 5, 2017
The couple reached out to Sushma Swaraj through social media and she helped the Pakistani girl in getting a visa.
5. When she gave a sassy reply to a Twitter user who tweeted that he was stuck on Mars and needed help.
Even if you are stuck on the Mars, Indian Embassy there will help you. https://t.co/Smg1oXKZXD— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) June 8, 2017
6. When she helped a 7-YO Pakistani girl get an Indian visa for an open heart surgery.
Yes, we are allowing Visa for your 7 years old daughter's open heart surgery in India. We also pray for her early recovery. https://t.co/bFmUXriQCC— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) September 27, 2017
The kid even made a video thanking the former minister.
7. When she intervened in helping a Hindu-Muslim couple get their passport after an officer rejected their application.
8. When she offered to issue free passports for those who lost theirs in the Chennai floods.
If your passport is lost or damaged in floods, pl go to any of three PSKs in Chennai. They will issue u fresh passport free of charge. Pl RT— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) December 7, 2015
9. When she promised to help a 15-year-old Pakistani boy stranded in India to return home.
She met Mohammad Ramzan who was stuck in India for two years and assured to facilitate his return. Talking to media, she said:
"I am going to send our official to Pakistan tomorrow to facilitate Ramzan's return to his homeland."
10. When she met speech and hearing impaired Geeta who was brought to India from Pakistan and promised to help find her parents.
She won everyone's hearts when she said:
"Geeta is the daughter of India. Even if she does not meet her family, she will never be sent back to Pakistan. The Indian government will foster her."
11. When she intervened and facilitated the return of an Indian woman who was allegedly sold to a family in Saudi Arabia as domestic help.
Sukhwant Kaur has reached Mumbai. pic.twitter.com/dOackhptw0— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) May 31, 2017
12. When she helped Jhalak Tomar, an Indian boxer in getting a passport to participate in the international tournament.
Jhalak - I have spoken on the given number. You will get the Passport tomorrow morning and you have to win a medal for the country. @Real_Aditi @rpoghaziabad— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) November 12, 2017
13. When she greeted the Prince of Bhutan on his first visit to India.
Known for her humility and attitude towards helping those in need, she commands great respect in the eyes of the people.