Today is Eid al-Fitr —"feast of breaking of the fast"- which marks the end of the month of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting (sawm), that begins in different parts of the world after sightings of the new moon are made. During the Ramadan month, pious Muslims abstain from food, drink, and sex from dawn until sunset. This fast is one of the five pillars of Islam. It is the time when Muslims reflect, pray and focus on charity. Maghrib prayer is performed after they break their fast after which they sit down to Iftar, the main evening meal, which they have along with their community and families.
Here are a few images, from all over the world, signifying the glory of this beautiful festival of Eid al-Fitr.
1. A storm of Muslims gather at Jama Masjid to offer prayers on Eid.
2. A child at Karbala mosque in Siliguri.
3. A little girl yawns while people pray at Jama Masjid mosque in New Delhi.
4. An Indian street vendor sells food to muslim faithful after Eid Ul-Fitr prayers.
5. A girl offers Eid al-Fitr prayers in Chennai.
6. Kids offering their prayers at Panama City.
7. People gathering for prayers at Badshahi Mosque in Lahore, Pakistan.
8. Women hug each other at a mosque in Pakistan.
9. A kid offers prayers by lying, stomach down, at Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo.
10. A parent and a kid offer their prayers at Jama Mosque in New Delhi.
11. Two young boys greet each other in traditional embrace outside Dhaka's Baitul Mukarram National Mosque.
12. Chinese Muslims gather for prayers at the Dongsi mosque in Beijing.
These are so beautiful, indeed. Don't you think?