According to a report by the periodic labour force survey (PLFS), the unemployment rate in India was the highest in 45 years for 2017-2018. At 6.1 percent, the unemployment rate was almost 3 times that of 2011-2012. Despite this glaring evidence, R. Jagannathan tweeted the following -
Need to read this number with nuance. A higher unemployment rate indicates that more people are actively looking for work. This is half positive indicating that many millions now believe jobs will be available even if not of satisfactory kind https://t.co/J4IQgarZYg— R Jagannathan (@TheJaggi) January 31, 2019
As expected, the twitterati had a few choice things to say about his brand of logic. And we thought we'd join in on the fun.
1. Air Pollution is half positive - people will do more deep breathing exercises.
2. Higher hunger rate is half positive - indicates more people want to eat food.
3. High poverty is half positive - kids will appreciate money more.
4. High population is half positive - people will spend more time together.
5. Rise in crimes against women is half positive - women will learn to defend themselves.
6. High illiteracy is half positive - people will read more books.
7. High rate of violence is half positive - indicates more people are looking to settle disputes quickly.
8. Poor infrastructure is half positive - indicates people are looking for better houses.
9. Casteism is half positive - indicates people are looking for equality.
10. Water shortage is a half positive - people believe more water will be available.
It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.