What are the characteristics of a good city? In my opinion, a city that ensures its residents lead a comfortable life. Along with good roads and buildings, often overlooked part of the city infrastructure are public benches and seats. Whenever people get tired walking around, they need a place to sit. And although regular benches do serve the purpose, if designed creatively, benches can provide great physical and mental relief.
Many cities all around the world have some beautiful benches. Here are some of those. Have a look.
1. How about a seat right in the middle of a lake?
2. This is an innovative bench that always has a dry spot to sit on.
3. Someone under the ground holds a bench for you in Kiev, Ukraine.
4. Right next to the Paprocany Lake in Poland, this is the perfect way to relax.
5. Although it looks pretty nice, this bench in Luxembourg might make some people claustrophobic.
6. Although this looks very beautiful, I’m not sure it’s comfortable to sit on.
7. And here’s a bench shaped like the tail of a whale.
8. This bench in Paris will have you sitting right in the middle of a book.
9. Great way to relax, this is in Copenhagen, Denmark.
10. These are some beautiful curvy seats at the University of Sydney, Australia.
11. A bench at a bus stop. It would be tough sitting on the B, though.
12. This glass concrete bench in Pecs, Hungary looks minimalistic, and lights up beautifully after sunset.
13. Here’s a seesaw bench, which would be great if you get bored while sitting.
14. Book-shaped benches outside Kansas City public library.
15. But book-benches are not limited to libraries. Here’s one from a park in Paris.
16. With giant hats, these benches in Marseille, France, also protect you from the sun.
17. These are the benches from an Art Gallery, in St. Louis, Missouri, and they look as classy as anything in an art gallery should be.
18. If you’re tired, these comfortable benches shaped like red-blood cells in Hamburg, Germany will surely help you relax.
19. In Enschede, Netherlands, you can rest on a resting robot.
20. Tearing up a tile from the sidewalk to make a bench at Split, Croatia.
21. This bench in Bristol, England, has a message for everyone who sits on it.
22. That is one creative design.
23. How about a Mobius bench?
24. Here’s a wavy bench from Ithaca, New York.
25. A cool bench that can be folded up.
26. Another wavy bench, this time from Chicago, Illinois.
Makes you wish we had some of these.