An anxious father, a perplexed bride-to-be, a groom with a golden heart, a smitten event planner and relatives from around the globe – sounds like a scene straight out of an impending wedding, right? And who does them better than our very own Bollywood. While there might be a plethora of Bollywood movies celebrating the grandeur of weddings like Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge, Band Baaja Baaraat, Aisha, Veer Zaara and Bride and Prejudice, the movie that still stands out is Mira Nair’s Monsoon Wedding. Even after all these years, we are still in awe of the movie.
Monsoon Wedding gave us Kawa Kawa which is still among our favourite wedding dance numbers But more importantly, it gave us some classic performances including that of Shefali Shah, Naseeruddin Shah, Lilette Dubey, Rajat Kapoor, Neha Dubey, and Randeep Hooda.
Surprisingly, the entire cast of the movie is doing well for themselves in Bollywood today. Here’s what they’ve been up to:
1.Vasundhara Das played the bride-to-be Aditi. With the wish to settle down, her match was arranged with Hemant Rai aka Parvin Dabas.
Aditi looks like this now and is a successful playback singer.
2. Parvin Dabas portrayed the role of the groom-to-be, Hemant Rai, who was a thorough gentleman.
Parvin is happily married to Mohobbatein actress Preeti Jhangiani and still looks every bit of the gentleman that he was in Monsoon Wedding.
3. Shefali Shah portrayed the character of Ria Verma, a headstrong woman who spoke up against abuse.
Today, we all know Shefali Shah as the powerhouse of talent that she is with many versatile roles in her kitty. You last saw her in Dil Dhadakne Do as the emotional yet strong mother.
And look at her, does age reflect on her face? She still looks like Ria!
4. Remember the Chunari Chunari performance by Ayesha Verma and Shelly? In case you didn’t notice, Ram Kapoor played Shelly in a blink-and-miss appearance.
Of course, now you cannot miss Ram Kapoor at all. He still is ‘Bade Achche Lagte Hain!’
5. Kulbhushan Kharbanda played theweird and funny uncle who dances with all aunties at weddings. He epitomised the uncle act in the movie.
Our adorable uncle looks like this now. He is pretty much active in the acting scene and you last saw him in this adorable video with Farida Jalal.
5. Who doesn’t like a hot cousin at a wedding? Randeep Hooda killed it as his handsome self at this shaadi.
And, well, we all know how he looks like now. *Gasp*
6. Even though he had a small appearance in the end, Jas Arora was every bit charming as Umang Chadha.
Jas is now heading his own label. And don’t you miss that mighty moustache!
7.As P.K. Dubey, Vijay Raaz tickled our funny bones flirting with Alice. And it melted our hearts when they got married to each other in the end.
He continued the funny streak with Run and showed his darker side in Delhi Belly. Our funny man looks serious now!
8. Tilotama Shome displayed her prowess to portray the character of Alice. Even today, she is best known for this meaty role.
Dainty and elegant, it seems as if Alice never grew up!
9. Tej Puri wouldn’t have been Tej Puri had it not been for Rajat Kapoor. It takes guts to play a grey character like this and he did it with perfection.
Though, with time, he only seems to have gotten younger!
Ah, it’s been more than a decade since this movie came and I still feel like time hasn’t moved since.