In one of the worst tragedies to hit Kerala, a major fire engulfed the 100-year-old Puttingal Devi Temple complex near Kollam when roughly 10,000 people were watching a display of fireworks on Sunday morning.

Here's what we know so far about the tragic incident:

  • The mishap occurred as sparks of the fireworks fell on the store room 'Kambapura', and the fire crackers kept there exploded with a deafening noise, which could be heard over a radius of one kilometre.

  • No permission had been granted for any kind of fireworks display.

  • Top officials of the Puttingal Devi temple have reportedly gone missing, reports Hindustan Times.

(With inputs from PTI)

(Feature image source: PTI)