Indian-origin actor and comedian, Aziz Ansari has responded to allegations of sexual misconduct by a 23-year-old woman with whom he went on a date last year.
According to reports, he has said that the sexual activity two of them indulged in was "completely consensual".
The Brooklyn-based photographer had met the actor at Emmy Awards 2017 and exchanged numbers with him. She recounted the date with Aziz Ansari as the "worst night of her life."
I talked to a girl who says she went on a date with @azizansari in an exclusive for @babedotnet. She told me, "It was by far the worst experience with a man I’ve ever had." I believe her. #TimesUp #MeToo #AzizAnsari https://t.co/p7q0fjSsh0— Katie Way (@k80way) January 13, 2018
In his statement, the Master Of None actor explained,
In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.
Ansari said that he "took her words to heart" at the time and reached out to her privately "after taking the time to process what she had said."
Saying the allegations against Aziz Ansari diminish the validity of the “me too” movement means you don’t understand the point of the movement— Christine (@xtinezulkosky) January 16, 2018
These allegations against Ansari have led to discussions over 'consent' and the #MeToo movement.
The actor said that he "continues to support the movement. It is necessary and long overdue."