A person's metabolism or metabolic rate is the chemical reactions in the body that keeps it functioning. People with a low metabolic rate are often tend to be low and energy and immune. Thus, it is essential for an individual to have a moderate or high metabolism level to feel high on energy. Here are 9 easy ways to increase your metabolism.
1. Include foods with high protein in your daily meals.
Did you know, protein causes a rise in TEF that is responsible to increase metabolic rate by 15–30%.
2. Drinking plenty of water can result in an increased metabolic rate.
Drinking around 17 ounces or 0.5 litres of water per day can increase metabolism by 10–30%.
3. Building muscle can help increase the metabolic rate of the body.
4. Sitting at one place for long durations of time can reduce metabolism. Include short walking sessions in your routine.
An afternoon of standing up at work can burn an extra 174 calories.
5. Replace your normal cup of tea with green tea or oolong tea.
Green tea and oolong tea can increase metabolism by 4–5%.
6. Eating spicy food can be beneficial for boosting your metabolism and help you maintain a healthy weight.
Peppers contain a substance called capsaicin that can boost your metabolism.
7. Lack of sleep can disrupt your appetite-regulating hormones which directly affects the metabolic rate.
The lack of sleep is linked to a major increase in the risk of obesity and low metabolism.
8. Drinking coffee can significantly increase your metabolism.
The caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism by 3–11%. However, it's probably a good idea not to overdo the coffee.
9. Replace other cooking fats with coconut oil to boost your metabolism slightly.
Medium-chain fats are known to increase your metabolism more than the long-chain fats found in foods like butter.
But before you do any of these, please remember to consult with a trained physician and/or dietician before drastically changing your diet.