F.R.I.E.N.D.S, the show, has been giving us friendship goals for over two decades now. But it is clear that Monica and Rachel’s friendship stands apart. Probably because they’re such good friends in real life too.
Courteney Cox and Jennifer Aniston have been best friends for almost 24 years now.
Jennifer Aniston & Courteney Cox became friends on the sets of the iconic show F.R.I.E.N.D.S when the show first started in 1994.
But while the show ended over a decade ago, their friendship has just been going stronger with each passing year, and these instances prove it.
1. When it was reported that Jennifer Aniston will be the maid of honor at Courteney Cox’s wedding with Johnny McDaid.
After a brief separation, Courteney Cox is getting married to longtime partner beau Johnny McDaid.
And who else to be maid of honor than Jennifer Aniston, who has been her friend for almost 24 years.
We’re pretty sure, Rachel aka Aniston has been preparing for this moment for a long time, or as Phoebe said, “Because it means more to you”.
2. And it was Courteney Cox who played the maid of honor when Jennifer Aniston got married to ex-husband Justin Theroux.
In fact, according to reports, she was one of the last people to leave the wedding.
3. Courteney also named Jennifer her daughter’s godmother in 2004. Because who better to look after (and spoil) your daughter, than your best friend.
And Jennifer Aniston proved, that just liked everything else, she even aces at Godmother duties:
I put them in the pool, put ’em in a tub, put ’em in your jewelry, give ’em your jewelry drawer.
4. When Courteney Cox indulged in a VERY public display of friendship because the first rule of friendship is – unadulterated display of affection.
Courteney Cox, along with her then-husband David Arquette, took out a full-page advertisement in the Hollywood Reporter to honor Jennifer Aniston, when she won the Showest Female of The Year award in 2005. The ad said,
Congratulations Jennifer. Your enormous heart makes you an incredible actress and a beautiful friend. We love you. Courteney, David, and Coco.
5. And both of them were each other’s pillar of strength when they went through painful divorces.
When Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt parted ways, after 5 years of marriage, it was Courteney Cox who offered her shoulder, and even her spare guestroom to Aniston, whenever she needed it. As Aniston admitted to in an interview for More in 2014,
“I’ve slept in her guest bedroom a lot. Without giving away too much of my private stuff, all I can say is she’s been there for me through thick and thin.
And when Courteney Cox and David Arquette separated (in 2011) and ultimately divorced in 2013, it was Jennifer Aniston offering her much needed comfort and happiness. As Cox put it,
A lot of really close friends are kind of going through this right now or like Jennifer [who] has gone through it. Things are being shaken up and I don’t know what’s going to happen, but, yeah, Jennifer has been amazing for sure.
6. When Jennifer Aniston described what makes Courteney Cox the perfect best friend.
There’s absolutely no judgment in Court. You’ll never feel scolded. She’s extremely fair, ridiculously loyal and fiercely loving.
7. When they vacationed together, because friends who travel together, stay together.
For Aniston’s 48th birthday, Aniston and Cox traveled to Mexico together, along with their respective partners, Justin Theroux and Johnny McDaid.
8. When Courteney threw a birthday bash for Jennifer Aniston because you’re never too old for a birthday party.
Even though it was a low-key bash, Jennifer Aniston spent her 49th birthday with her close friends, at her best friend Courteney Cox’s Malibu home.
9. They regularly attend events and lunches together and openly support each other’s work.
Aniston has appeared as a guest on Cox’s shows, Cougar Town and Dirt, and even came out to support her directorial debut Just Before I Go.
Similarly, when Jennifer Aniston organized a charitable event at St. Jude’s Children Hospital in LA (a charity she has been associated with for a long time), best friend Courteney Cox dropped by to support her.
10. When Johnny McDaid first proposed to Courteney Cox, he did it at her best friend, Jennifer Aniston’s house.
On the talk show, Jimmy Kimmel Alive, Cox revealed details of Johnny McDaid’s marriage proposal, which was at a birthday party, for daughter Coco, that was hosted by none other than BFF and Godmother, Jennifer Aniston.
11. They perfected the art of twinning even before the concept was invented.
Whether it was sporting similar sunglasses when they first became friends or wearing a coincidentally coordinated outfit at their most recent outing together (at the Chanel and the Natural Resources Defense Council’s “Our Majestic Oceans” benefit in Malibu), the two friends have perfected the art of twinning as only BFFs can.
12. They are extremely vocal about how much they mean to each other. (I’m not crying, you are).
Jennifer Aniston once said about Courteney Cox:
I just love her so much. She’s been there for me in a lot of ways and she really is the most dependable person I know. She is funny, I mean she just cracks me up constantly.
Even Courteney Cox feels the same about Jennifer Aniston.
She’s one of my favorite people in the whole world, and always will be one of my best friends.
Clearly, friends through thick and thin, and everything in between – Courteney Cox and Jennifer Aniston’s friendship is more beautiful than anything a writer could have written on the show – it is real, warm and absolutely endearing.