Last night, HBO dropped the final trailer for Game of Thrones season 8. And let's just say, it showed us some things we weren't prepared for, on an emotional level.
1. For the first time in a long time, Arya Stark is scared of something.
The youngest Stark is one of the most badass characters on the show. She is a skilled assassin trained to become anyone she wants. The trailer, however, shows her running from something, with a nasty wound on her head. And she looks scared for her life.
Looks like, the dead have arrived at Winterfell and they are winning.
2. Arya Stark is on a mission; maybe to kill whatever was chasing her in the first shot.
It could very well be that the injury on her forehead from the first shot was from an attempt to kill one of the white walker generals. Or maybe she had just heard about the Night King. In any case, adding that face to her stock won't be easy.
3. Lord Varys is hiding in the Winterfell crypt with the women and Children.
On noticing closely, you'll see that Gilly and baby Sam are sitting on one of the Stark statues that Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon walked passed in season 1.
4. We finally get to see the Golden Company!
In the last episode of season 7, Euron Greyjoy pretended to flee Westeros. But now we know that it was the Golden Company he was sent to hire. But to what end, really? Reclaim the forts that Dany won?
The commander of the army who strikingly resembles a young Ser Jaime Lannister is reportedly Harry Strickland. According to reports, he oversees a division of the Golden Company's army on Euron's ship, Silence.
5. Tormund and Beric Dondarion survived the fall of the great Wall.
THANK GOD! I don't think anyone wanted Tormund dead. Hell, we hated the idea of it after the last season ended. Well, fortunately, it looks like both of them survived to tell the story of the fall of the great wall at Winterfell.
6. Bran might be telling Jon about his true heritage.
Jon Snow Aegon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne. Samwell Tarly and Bran Stark discovered this truth last season as Jon was committing the most Targaryen act of them all, burn them all incest.
It is hard to tell if Bran is speaking to Jon about his true heritage but that old man-phrophecy voice Bran employs points towards the same.
7. Jon and Daenerys arrive at Winterfell with the Unsullied- striking awe and fear in the hearts of men.
We have all seen sassy Sansa welcome Dany to Winterfell. Now, it will be interesting to see what really happens, given that Jon has bent the knee to a Targaryen.
8. This shot of Jon and Dany on the streets with an army behind their backs marching to Winterfell is a nod to the scene from season 1 when Bran and Arya climbed high to watch Robert Baratheon arrive at Winterfell.
Possibly the happiest the Starks were before everything went to shit. Foreshadowing much?
9. The freaking dragons are terrifying.
Imagine a period where everyone was fighting with knives and you brought a gun to the fight. How would it mess up people's heads? Now imagine, you just brought the air force to an era where people still fought with steel and on horses! No wonder Sansa is looking so perturbed.
10. The battle has begun and Gendry has taken his place as the skilled weaponsmith that he is!
After rowing for a better part of 3 seasons, Gendry is back and he has a job at Winterfell. Many of you who think he doesn't matter, remember that he is the only Baratheon left. So his job might not be over yet. Besides, who doesn't want to see him reunite with Arya?
11. And look at what he is making the weapons from!
Dragonglass! There is massive stock of dragonglass behind that anvil!
12. There is a surprising lack of Dothrakis in this trailer though!
Where are they? We didn't see them follow Daenerys and Jon. And they weren't in any of the battle scenes.
13. Greyworm and Missandei are so in love. Which is a bad sign if you're in GoT.
These two are the best thing in Westeros right now in the midst of unprecedented chaos in the country. But given that they are so much in love and how we are all rooting for them, I'm fairly certain that not both of them will make it. We can't be that happy!
14. Jon stands in front of the Weirdwood tree, a nod to Ned Stark doing the same from season 1.
Jon is the man Ned hoped he would become and lead the north men. That time seems to have come.
15. Jaime Lannister has embraced the fight against the dead as much as anyone else, or maybe more!
We can see Jaime fighting in the battle. And although we have no idea of knowing who he is speaking to, but he says that he pledged to fight for the living and he intended to keep his word.
We're all going to be so mad with grief if and when he dies, aren't we? What a man, what a story!
16. Cersei is at the Red Keep and is, well, drinking wine.
We actually don't see a lot of her in the trailer. But knowing how she is, it is quite obvious that she still has quite a role to play in the game. Also, why is she smiling like she knows something the rest of us don't?
And if you notice, she has tears in her eyes. Maybe, Jaime's dead?
17. Jon Snow might finally be flying Rhaegal in battle!
We see Jon and Dany walking hand-in-hand amidst a field of bones, towards the dragons. If Dany knows his true heritage, she knows that the dragon would accept him as a rider. So yeah, we might finally get to see both the Targaryens riding dragons into the battle.
18. Tyrion is scared of something.
It's not an easy job being the hand of the queen, especially when the queen is as volatile a creature as a Targaryen. Besides, an entire army of the dead rising to rid the world of all life seems to be a reasonable concern at the moment.
19. Damn! Drogon spitting fire is still terrifying!
So okay, this is interesting. Because, quite obviously, the fiercest of the dragons is carrying out an execution. And it's not like we haven't seen this before. It's just that this gets more terrifying with every season.
20. Arya shows some of those badass fighting skills she picked up from 'No One' in Davos.
And damn! She's good.
21. The great war is finally here!
The last shot is definitely the most epic one. An army stands behind Ser Jorah, Brienne and Podrick with scared looks on their faces.
And the undead horse, that the Night King rides appears, seemingly with an army at its back.
In case there is anything you feel like we've missed, please let us know.