Even though I grew out of it, F.R.I.E.N.D.S was and always will be an irreplaceable part of my childhood. Joey was lovable, I just wanted to hug him. Ross was relatable, probably the guy I would have been friends with at school. Chandler was my idol growing up, my sensei in sarcasm. Monica and Rachel were, well, I didn’t care much for either but they’re cool too I guess.
However the character that stood out for me, way above the rest, was Phoebe Buffay. She was unapologetically weird, had her own interpretation of the world and at times the only voice of reason, however quirky her reasons may have been, in their chaotic lives.
But what I loved most about that weird little hippy were the songs, which contained all the wisdom of the world. So lets take a trip, you and I, down memory lane to Buffay Avenue, Phoebe Street.
1. The one where she reminded us to forgive ourselves.
2. The one where she told us to keep our self-worth intact.
3. The one where she told us the truth about growing up.
4. The one where she reminded us that sexuality is complex.
5. The one where she showed us how to love.
6. The one where she taught us to include and care for all our friends.
7. The one where she taught us the value of persistence.
8. The one where she prepared us for life’s bitter truth.
9. The one where she asked us to let go.
10. The one where she stressed on the importance of fidelity.
11. The one where she captured the feeling of having a guest who just won’t leave.
12. The one where she taught us that life can get uncomfortable sometimes.
13. The one where where told us that life can sometimes take an unexpected turn.
14. The one where she reminded us that life can be mysterious.
15. The one where she showed us how to not give a fuck.
I always knew there was something off about Phoebe. But who knew she was basically Confucius with a guitar and an ass that won’t quit?
Designs courtesy of Akanksha Pushp.