The tiny, oil-rich sesame seeds grow in pods of the Sesamum indicum plant and has a golden-brown hue. Sesame seeds are used in folk medicine for thousands of years. These 10 health and nutrition benefits of sesame seeds make it a wonderful kitchen ingredient if consumed correctly.
1. About 30-grams of sesame seeds if consumed daily, can supply 12% of fiber to the body.
2. Sesame seeds are high in magnesium and help lower blood pressure.
3. Sesame seeds help reduce heart disease risk factors, including elevated triglyceride and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels.
4. Unhulled sesame seeds are rich in nutrients vital to bone health and mineral absorption.
5. Phytoestrogens found in sesame seeds benefit women who are undergoing menopause.
6. Sesamin in sesame seeds helps reduce joint pain and support mobility in arthritis of the knee.
7. Sesame seeds are a good source of thiamine, niacin, and vitamin B6, which are necessary for proper cellular function and metabolism.
8. Plant compounds and vitamin E in sesame seeds serve as antioxidants that combat oxidative stress in your body.
9. Sesame seeds are a great source of iron, copper, and vitamin B6 that is needed by the body for the formation and healthy function of red blood cells.
10. Hulled sesame seeds are a great source of plant protein that is required to build a body in a healthy manner.
Top picks for you
FoodSnigdha Nalini Oreya5 days ago | 2 min read