Close to a month after DSP Muhammad Ayub Pandith was lynched by a frantic mob outside Jamia Masjid in Srinagar, J&K police on Monday claimed to have almost solved the case.
Addressing the media on Monday, Inspector General of Police, Kashmir Range, Muneer Ahmad Khan expressed gratitude to the general public who cooperated in investigating the case expeditiously and effectively.
Calling slain Hizbul militant Sajad Ahmad Gilkar one of the main accused, Khan revealed that the police has arrested 20 more accused so far.
Sajad was killed in an encounter on July 12 in Budgam during an encounter between militants and security forces.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ayub Pandith was stripped and lynched by a mob outside Jamia Masjid on 22 June after he allegedly opened fire at a group of people who caught him clicking pictures. He was on duty for access control of the mosque.
Here's how the case has progressed so far
- IG Muneer Ahmad Khan revealed that after getting clues they managed to arrest 3 main accused who during a custodian questioning led to other accused who were involved in the 'gruesome act'.
- The police also managed to recover pieces of evidence such as the iron rod used to hit the DYSP on his head
- Besides, the police claimed to have recovered the damaged pistol of the DYSP , his identity card and cellphone from the miscreants that murdered him
- "The investigation of the case is going in absolutely right manner, expeditiously and effectively," Khan said.
- He also assured that some more arrests are expected and more evidence will be collected and brought on record in due course of time
- He claimed that the police is hopeful that the investigation will be completed in stipulated time.
- On Sajad Gilkar, Ahmad said that he was involved in 14 cases since 2008 and was detained by PSA thrice for both stone pelting and stabbing.
What Happened on June 22nd
Describing the incident, IG Muneer Ahmad recalled that a group of hooligans were raising pro Zakir Musa slogans while waiting outside the mosque to welcome Kashmiri separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.
It was they who attacked DSP Ayub Pandith who was spotted clicking pictures. He was heckled after he refused to show his identity card to the group, the IG claimed.
(Feature image source: Twitter)