“Whoa! Dude, stop what you are doing right now, that’s disrespectful to Scotch whisky.” That was what my friend told me when he saw me pouring whisky in my glass full of ice. His expression somehow suggested that I’d committed a cardinal sin and that I should never be allowed to drink whisky ever again. All I was doing was having a drink the way I like it and the last thing I need is for someone to tell me how. These self-proclaimed ‘Scotch snobs’ have somehow managed to elevate themselves to a level where they feel they have the right to tell people how to drink their drink.
Well, I don’t listen to them and neither should you and while you do that, stay away from these 8 so-called rules that all Scotch snobs tell us.
1. “You should never put more than 3 cubes of ice in your drink.”
2. “Cola! Are you serious? No, just no.”
3. “Twirl your drink in your glass before taking the first sip.”
4. “Smell it, the taste lies in the aroma.”
5. “You’re a teenager if you do whisky shots.”
6. “A heavy-bottom glass or nothing for whisky.”
7. “Older = better”
8. “Don’t drink anything apart from a single malt.”
Shaking your head? Well, I am too. I mean, at the end of the day, it’s all about enjoying your drink. And if that’s the bottom line, then why do you need any goddamn pretentious rules? If like me, even you believe it, then you really need to know about this legendary Scotch brand that is making its way to India – William Lawson’s. Not only does the brand believe in the ideology of having no rules whatsoever for Scotch drinking, it also believes in the idea of living a no-nonsense life. Now, that’s something I’ll drink to.