Nobody does spontaneity and vibrancy as the Punjabis do. Animated, bold loud, yet sensitive and sensible, they make for the coolest friends. The carefree, unapologetic and larger-than-life language that Punjabi is, it compliments its people perfectly!
Spoken from the heart, this energetic, vibrant language has all the makings of being one of the funkiest, wackiest ever. The fact that the language is spot-on and leaves no scope for mincing words makes it total gangsta.
So, here's why the Punjabi language rocks:
1. Punjabi as a language has a life and soul. Even something as mundane as a 'how are you?' becomes a melodious ' Kidaan ?'
2.Abusing in Punjabi is oddly satisfying. One can spill one's heart out in a line like ' Khotte da puttar!'
3. Being abused in Punjabi doesn't really hurt because it is usually friendly banter. So ' ullu da pattha' doesn't make one cringe like 'son of a bitch' might.
4. Like its people, the language is honest and unapologetic. The people might end up with their foot in their mouth more often than not, but it is totally worth it!
5. Punjabi makes all kinds of music sound good. From Baba Sehgal's raps to Daler Mehendi songs, the language pumps life into all kinds of music.
6. Punjabis live life king size. Even love songs are a full-blown affair, be it the melody of ' Heer ' or the peppy beats of ' Dil da mamla '.
7. Punjabi, with its energy, makes for the best foot-tapping numbers. All of us have definitely shaken a leg to Sukhbir's ' Ishq tera tadpave' at some wedding or the other.
8. Punjabi or non-Punjabi, everyone has a number of colourful Punjabi expressions in their vocabulary. ' O teri! 'and ' Chak de phatte!' are universal favorites.
9. Punjabi is like an international gourmet chef who adapts international cuisines to suit his/her taste. So Canada becomes Kaneda , America becomes Amrika .
10. Punjabi comes without the a coat and tie, which makes jabbering away in this bindaas language so awesome. Just saying ' Balle Balle!' at the top of one's voice can be so encouraging.
11. But despite being so full of masti, the language lets spirituality breathe. People find solace in Bulleh Shah's poetry when life is difficult.
12. Punjabis have the most entertaining pet names and they are absolutely game about it. Sunny and Bobby Deol for example.
13. Bollywood relies heavily on the language to up the quotient of fun. A fun-loving, spontaneous Punjabi is a stock character in every other Bollywood movie.
14. Highly descriptive in nature, it is a language of feels . One can always shout ' Hadippa ' and feel uplifted in no time.
So yeah, Punjabi insists on calling a spade a spade and with style.