Our dependence on technology and luxuries is having us trade health for the convenience they offer. There are so many products that we use on a daily basis without even realizing the harm their long-term usage is posing to our health. Here are 10 everyday products that are causing us harm slowly and silently.
1. Hair dryer
Aside from giving us the prefect hair, blow-drying exposes hair to extreme heat and temperature which could be damaging. Using hair dryer on frequent basis can cause hair to dry out and split towards the edges.
2. Room freshener
While room fresheners can get rid of the bad smell, what it is potent of returning is impotency! Yes, researchers have found that most of the room fresheners contain phthalates that are chemical substances used as plastic softeners, anti-foaming agents, paints. It has a negative effect on the production of testosterone in males and can cause harm to reproductive health.
3. Nail tools
If you don't clean the nail tools properly after using, there are chances that bacteria from your skin will get transferred and grow on it, causing skin infection upon using it later. Also, it is safe to not share the kit with someone.
While its soothing to have your skin exfoliated with loofah, leaving it undried can lead to the growth of bacteria that feed on dead skin cells you just scrubbed off. Furthermore, it can cause skin infection if you have open cuts or pores.
5. Microwave Oven
Heating the food in plastic can cause carcinogenic chemicals to seep inside the food. Bisphenol A (BPA) found in the majority of plastic products can cause cancer. It is better to use ceramic containers or heat-resistant glasses instead.
7. Non-stick cookware
It has been found that Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that has been long used in manufacturing Teflon cookware is a harmful chemical. It releases when the utensil is heated and prolonged usage may cause thyroid, heart diseases and even cancer.
Always remember to buy non-stick cookware labelled POFA-free.
8. Cotton ear buds
While it's fun and relief to dig out wax by poking cotton buds into the ear, regular use and scratching the ear roughly can leave your eardrum punctured leading to loss of hearing.
9. Moth balls
The favourite thing of Indian households, moth balls find a permanent place inside winter clothes. What we don't know is that they contain naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene which are insecticides. High exposure to moth balls can cause irritation in eyes and skin and can also affect the nervous system.
10. Ready-to-make food
The preservation process of foods diminishes the nutritional value. Also many packed foods have high content of sodium that does no good, rather puts your health at risk.