The human mind is capable of so many things - it is able to withstand such pain, can be so barbaric towards others and in the end cannot look at these pictures and not be affected by it. Following 38 pictures are a collection of such rare and shocking moments:
1. Man holds a woman amidst the debris of Rana Plaza - an 8-storied building in Dhaka, Bangladesh, which collapsed and claimed thousands of lives.
2. The collapse of World Trade Center on 9/11.
3. A Russian soldier playing the piano among the ruins of Chechnya.
4. 'The Falling Man' - a man falling from the World Trade Center, 9/11.
5. Omayra Sanchez - the Colombian girl who got killed after an excruciating 55-hour struggle of being trapped in the debris of her house after it was destroyed because of a volcanic eruption.
6. Thailand massacre in 1976, where the University students protesting the return of former military dictator Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn . The protesters were beaten, mutilated and burned.
7. A survivor finds an intact album of his family after an earthquake hit Sichuan, China.
8. Marine Sergeant Frank Paytor feeds a two-week old kitten.
9. A US Marine meeting his baby girl for the very first time.
10. Taken by Raghu Rai, this is a picture after the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
11. Meghan Vogel carrying Arden McMath across the finish line, after she collapsed during the race.
12. This was taken during the South Vietnamese attack, the girl running towards the camera was safe and survived the war.
13. Pulitzer winning - 'Migrant Mother' by Dorothea Lange.
14. A woman cries in despair after Tsunami hit the Sri-Lankan and Indian coasts.
15. 'Child Crawling' by Kevin Carter. The photographer committed suicide a few months after this picture won him a Pulitzer.
16. The atrocity of war in Vietnam and the brutal behaviour that followed.
17. Taken in a famine camp in Uganda, this picture clearly shows the economic disparity in the world.
18. Apartheid in South Africa, the racial discrimination was appalling to the point that the wash basins were separated for the races.
19. A survivor from the Rwanda genocide. This man shows his wounds as a result of the brutal torture he underwent at the concentration camp.
20. The corpse of the socialist revolutionary - Che Guevara.
21. After 3 years of war in Biafra, the photographer was shocked to find almost 900 children, close to the point of death.
22. Helen Fisher kisses the hearse, which carries the body of her 20-year old cousin.
23. A man looking back in time when he used to share the bench with his wife.
24. The horrific treatment doled out on the 'terror suspects' at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
25. The Monk who set himself on fire due to the rising tensions between the Catholics and Buddhist Monks. The Monk remained absolutely still, while burning himself down.
26. A couple gets their wedding photograph after 88 years of being married.
27. An unborn baby reaches out of the incision and takes hold of the surgeon's hand.
28. Zanjeer saved thousands of lives during the serial blasts in 1993 in Mumbai by detecting more than 3,329 kgs of the explosive RDX, 600 detonators, 249 hand grenades and 6406 rounds of live ammunition. He was buried with full honors in 2000.
29. A heart-surgeon, after a 23-hour long successful heart-transplant. That's his assistant sleeping in the corner.
30. Inside a gas chamber in Auschwitz. The desperate scratches on the wall are a reminder of the gruesome crime that took place in those concentration camps.
31. A man walks through a street full of bullet casings during the Civil War in Liberia
32. A boy pushes a pram through the debris of what remains in Haiti, after the earthquake in 2010.
33. Approaching clouds in Kansas, forming a super-cell.
34. Surfing legend Garrett McNamara, breaking his own record of surfing through the highest wave of about 78-feet in Portugal in 2011.
35. Dr Fritz Klein standing in the middle of a mass grave, in a concentration camp in Germany.
36. Gujarat Riots, 2002 - Ansari asking the Hindu rioters for mercy. This became one of the symbolic pictures depicting the riots.
37. During 2011's massive floods in Cuttack, we see a man carrying stray kittens in a basket in his head. Faith in humanity restored.
38. 'Afghan Girl' by Steve McCurry is widely regarded as the third world's Mona Lisa.