We all knew the day was coming but when the news finally broke that Hindustan Motors was officially suspending the production of the iconic Ambassador cars, it was indeed a hard pill to swallow. For those who grew up in the pre-millennium era, the Ambassador was more than a great car, it was part of the family, it was a symbol of our nation. Here are 12 Reasons Why the Ambassador Will Always have a special place in our hearts.
1. As a kid the one car you always felt the safest in was the sturdy, loyal Ambassador.
2. No other car looks as good with the screaming siren on top as the Ambassador.
3. Before there were family cars and SUVS, all our country had was the Ambassador.
4. There was a time when you heard VIP car, the only image that came to your mind was that of an Ambassador.
5. When you were a kid and you were asked to draw a car, it was always the Ambassador you came up with.
6. Perhaps the only car from an earlier generation with ample leg space, boot space and seating space.
7. Every young Indian driver has heard the saying “If you know how to drive an Ambassador, then you can drive any other car in the world”.
8. It looked damn good in any colour although the one colour that it looked truly majestic in was of course ‘white’.
9. Our hearts beat faster with hope and anticipation when the concept Ambassador designed by Dilip Chhabria went viral a few years back.
10. For multiple Indian generations, the word cab and the name Ambassador were synonymous.
11. No wonder it was rated as the best Taxi in the world by BBC Top Gear.
12. And lastly, Indian street art never looked this great on any other car.
From 1958 to 2014, Amby, you have come a long way. Although we may never see a new ambassador on our roads again, let’s hope the ones that are there right now, stick around for a while.