Nobody can ever forget their first relationship. No matter how pleasant or how unpleasant, no matter how serious or how casual, no matter how lasting or how short-lived, it will always hold a very significant place in our lives. In ways we may not understand, it has shaped us.
There are songs about love and there are songs of heartbreak. The point is, being in love as well as being out of love for the first time, has lessons to teach that will see us through our entire lives:
1. Be grateful for what you have rather than being upset about what's missing.
2. Holding on to something too tight will only make it slip faster.
3. Every relationship requires an effort, but it shouldn't be too hard.
4. Love someone for who they are, not for who you expect them to be.
5. Look for respect, trust, forgiveness and love will follow; not the other way round.
6. Don't take anyone for granted if you don't want to be taken for granted.
7. All relationships are a two way street. It can't be all about them, it can't be all about you.
8. Silence can be treacherous. Talk things out.
9. There is no better place to look for happiness than within.
10. When someone new comes into your life, don't forget the ones who were always there for you.
11. There are good memories and there are bad memories. It's up to you to decide which are more precious to keep.
12. Let the one you love become your strength, never your weakness.