NOTE: Make no mistake, this is NOT an attempt to diss India. I love and respect my country. And there are many areas where India is a lot better than America.
America is the land of dreams and thousands flock to the country every year. Obviously the exodus happens for more reasons than one. Well-paying jobs, rewarding careers, high standards of living – you name it and Uncle Sam has it all on a platter. America is way ahead of India in the true sense of the word. And clearly there are a lot of things which they can do that we cannot/don’t.
Here are a few such things. Read and reflect.
1. Not giving a damn about PDA
“Oh teri! Woh dekh wahan kya ho raha hai.”
2. Greeting strangers
What a creep. I don’t even know him.
3. Holding the door open for others
4. Thanking the waiter, the autowala , the plumber et al
5. No impatient honking
Move it, move it.
6. Staying unmarried
“28 ki ho gayi hai. Shaadi waadi nahi karni?”
7. Following escalator etiquette
Seriously? We are supposed to stand in line?
8. Giving a friendly hug to friends of the opposite sex
Arrey… S he’s just a friend.
9. Throwing trash INTO the dustbin
Aim and throw. Missed it? No worries.
10. Talking to children about sex
He probably knows it already. Chuck it.
11. Complying with zebra crossing rules
12. Not judging someone based on profession
13. Minding your own business
14. Following your passion
15. Giving way to the ambulance/fire brigade
16. Marrying for love
Without the hassles of caste, colour, age, creed and sometimes even gender!
17. Quitting your job just for that road trip
18. Not staring at women/foreigners
19. Allowing boys in school to grow long hair
20. Not being judgemental about LGBTs
21. Following basic movie-hall etiquettes
The point I am trying to make is that India can be a lot better if we take some cue from the West and adopt these qualities. Think about it.
This article was inspired by a post on Quora .