Humans take everything way too seriously, from our jobs to our entire lives. Sometimes, we just need a cosmic slap to our existence. The easiest way to do that is to look up at the stars and realise just how tiny and insignificant we really are. We’re part of a planet that’s so tiny, it could be wiped off the face of the universe without making any difference (except to us of course!).
Here’s some pictures that show us just how vast the universe really is!
1. We start with planet Earth. It’s pretty big, right?
2. Wrong! Saturn is so big, you could fit SEVEN Earths in its rings!
3. Here’s Earth from an image taken by Cassini Craft under Saturn.
4. This is how tiny the Earth looks from Mars.
Total role reversal.
5. Compared to the sun though, all our planets look like tiny play balls.
6. Things start to get a little unbelievable when you see the size of the sun in the Milky Way galaxy.
7. And even more unthinkable when you see the a little of the number of galaxies in space.
9. Our cosmic presence isn’t as massive when seen next to our neighbouring galaxies.
10. Which is all part of the Virgo Supercluster.
Which, in turn, is one among a WHOLE lot of other superclusters.
Just to clarify, a supercluster is a large group of smaller galaxy clusters.
11. Zoom out as far as you can, and you have what we can envision the entire universe to be.
And there’s a little dot in there that shows our galaxy. And deep within that dot, is the Earth!
12. And here’s a little picture of the magic of space, re-imagined.
13. Don’t feel alone though. There’s a couple of other habitable Planets around. Here’s what their sunsets look like!
14. Space is scary though. Just look at the size of this black hole, it could eat us right up!
15. Parting thought: there’s more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.
Feel small yet?
Top picks for you