It’s almost eight in the evening. The office is buzzing with noise. The lights are on. PCs still running. The eighth batch of coffee is doing the rounds and the boss is in no mood to let you go. Isn’t that the story of our lives? There is hardly any 9-5 culture in India and hard work has become synonymous with staying late in office. In the race to excel at work, we usually forget that we are more than what we do for a living. You shouldn’t need a reason to wrap up your work and leave the office on time but just in case you do, here are 14:
1. Working hard doesn’t mean working late.
Working for long hours doesn’t mean commitment, it means stupidity. Always choose quality over quantity!
2. You make your office culture. Not vice versa.
Staying back would only spoil it for both you and the company.
3. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
4. Stressing too much is vile.
Too much stress at work is so yesterday! Seriously though, what did you achieve in that extra 2 hours that you spent in office? You could easily have finished the same thing in half an hour early the next morning.
5. You are much more than what you do for a living.
6. There are other things that you’d rather do; celebrate your salary for instance!
Why do you work so hard? To earn, right? What is the fun if you don’t savour the result and just gulp it without feeling anything? Celebrate your salary; go out and splurge a little!
7. Learn a dance form. Learn a language. Play. Talk. Just get out.
From the four walls of your rooms to the walls of your office, why do you limit yourself when you can go out and explore so much more?
8. Spend time with your parents. Meet friends.
When was the last time you talked to your mom peacefully or took your parents out for dinner? They brought you up and all they need in return is your time. It is also the right time to pick up the phone, make a call, and meet that friend you’ve been cancelling on since forever now.
9. Don’t stress your back. Exercise!
Get up. Move. Stretch out. You really don’t want to end up in a hospital.
10. If you keep staring at that screen the entire day, you’ll end up getting glasses soon (if you haven’t already!)
11. And if you continue to work with the same set of people, how will you make new friends or find that special someone?
You don’t want to die alone, do you?
12. Choose experiences over money.
Even if you get paid more for working extra, ditch the money for once and choose experiences!
13. Get out and see the world. There is a lot more to it than a 15-inch screen.
At least gather some stories to tell your grand kids! You don’t want them to think that your entire life was spent in a cubicle, do you?