Take a look at any “mass comedy blockbuster” or any mindless entertainment Bollywood flick and you’ll see that Bollywood still has a formula when it comes to portraying certain things. Despite the handful of path-breaking films we are seeing today, there are still certain sins the Bollywood mainstream films are guilty of. Especially the way in which they portray the LGBT community, if at all they are portrayed. Here are 10 absurd ways in which Bollywood portrays the LGBT community:
1. They are always at the receiving end of highly offensive homophobic jokes which are often made by the hero of the film.
2. One common theme in ‘comedy movies’ is an onlooker mistaking the two heroes for being gay and getting severely scandalized.
3. If a gay character is included in a Bollywood movie, it’ll always be in the role of an overly-horny gay guy lusting for the hero despite the hero’s rebukes.
4. There has not been a single Bollywood movie where a leading actor has convincingly portrayed the role of a gay man! They have played the role of straight men pretending to be gay of course because that’s so hilarious right?
5. Progressive movies like ‘Fire’, ‘My Brother Nikhil’ etc. portrayed the LGBT community in a very sensitive, realistic light.
Of course, these movies shocked everyone & were surrounded by controversies. Movies like Page 3, Fashion, Bombay Talkies tried reviving the realism in the portrayal but we still fall back on crass stereotypes, time & again.