Every Indian heart fills with pride when we see the National Flag unfurling on Republic Day. 26th January brings out the patriot in us but not everybody knows how much significance the day holds for us. So, here are some facts about Republic Day that every Indian must be aware of:
1. January 26, 1930 was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day. It’s the day India decided to fight for complete freedom.
2. After we achieved Independence on August 15 in 1947, our leaders wanted January 26 to be remembered in history as well. Therefore, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
3. The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
4. Republic Day Celebrations are a 3-day long affair.
The celebrations end on January 29 with the Beating Retreat ceremony.
5. The first R-Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
6. A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite songs.
7. India’s Constitution is the longest in the world. It has a total of 448 articles.
It is written in English and Hindi.