Your body is a temple, blah blah... Yeah, we've all heard that before. But do you have any idea how awesome and weird it is? There are some facts that we just have no idea about. And so many of us spend our entire lives without even bothering to find out. I agree that some of these might be useless but they are still pretty cool. Here are 50 facts about your body that make it amazing and weird at the same time:
1. There are more lifeforms living on your skin than the number of people on the planet.
Scientists are yet to determine the most populous skin type though.
2. Your red blood cells do a complete circuit of your skin every 60 seconds.
Is that why Ferrari chose red?
3. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib.
4. But if you suppress it, you might rupture a blood vessel in your neck or your head & die.
5. Plus, your heart stops for a millisecond every time you sneeze.
6. And if you keep your eyes open while sneezing, your eyeballs may pop out.
Bless you! Like seriously.
7. You cannot lick your elbow.
Go on. Try it. If you can do it, you aren't human. Be proud.
8. The fact that you eat spiders in your sleep is a myth.
Your body vibrates while sleeping, which for a spider is like a sign of danger. And if your mouth is open, you are most likely snoring. A spider would never approach you willingly. Plus, we are so huge as compared to them that we are just a part of the landscape, but our mouth isn't.
9. But if you are worried about lifeforms entering your body, wearing headphones for an hour can increase the bacteria count by 700 times in your ear.
10. The strongest muscle in the body, based on ability to exert force is the 'masseter'.
It is responsible for opening and closing your jaw. The tongue too is believed to be very strong, but no it can't lick stronger than the masseter can help us bite.
11. You will produce enough saliva in your lifetime to fill up two swimming pools.
Unfortunately, no one will be willing to swim in it.
12. Men can produce about 10 million sperms every day which can repopulate the earth in approximately 6 months.
Sperm banks will be giving out loans soon.
13. Pound for pound, your bones are 4 times stronger than concrete.
14. The largest organ in your body is your skin. If stretched out end to end, an adult's skin can cover upto 21 feet.
Mr Fantastic, of course, wins hands down.
15. Your heart can create enough pressure to squirt blood upto 30 feet.
Please do not try to win at this.
16. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, you can produce enough gas to create the energy of a bomb blast.
It may not be as big as an atomic bomb, but still, lay off the soda and the cabbage.
17. If you yell constantly for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you will produce enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
And after that long exhausting exercise, your reward will be a warm cup of coffee. Worth it, right?
18. You are born with around 270 bones but by the time you are an adult, it comes down to 206.
19. It is impossible to tickle yourself.
You may be dumb enough to try it, but your brain is still smart enough to know.
20. Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks. Else it will digest itself.
That is one meal you don't want to eat.
21. Your feet have 25% of all your bones
So if people say 'break a leg', be careful. You have a lot to lose.
22. Except for twins, everyone has a unique smell.
Unless you are a trained dog, you will not be able to tell the difference.
23. You will walk a total of 17 lakh kilometres in your lifetime which is more than 3 times the circumference of the earth.
Although, laziness and indoor activities are spoiling the world.
24. You are 1% shorter in the evening than in the morning.
That is because your spine compresses the disks between your vertebrae during the day.
25. Your eyes are always the same since birth, but your nose and ears keep growing.
Pinocchio took some special growth hormone though.
26. Your fingers are so sensitive that if they were the size of the earth, you could feel the difference between a house and a car.
Think about that when you pick a booger out of your nose next.
27. Ovaries contain over 5,00,000 eggs but only 40% get the opportunity to create life.
That is probably how the real world is as well.
28. If the Earth was flat, you could spot a candle light 30 miles away. Aren't our eyes amazing?
29. Speaking of eyes, you know you can distinguish between 10 million colour surfaces.
30. And it can take in more information than the largest telescope known to man.
31. A human adult is made up of 7 octillion atoms. Which is 7,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,000 atoms.
Interestingly our galaxy has a 100 billion stars which is 1,00,00,00,00,000. Just for perspective's sake.
32. No animal can run long distances like humans. There was a time when we used to run after our prey until it just fell on the ground due to exhaustion.
A tribe in Mexico called Tarahumaras can still do that. The rest of us just got used to fast food.
33. Your brain uses 20% of the entire body's oxygen and calorie intake, although it only accounts for about 2% of your body mass.
Being selfish is just instilled in our brains.
34. When you blush, your stomach lining blushes too.
But if your tummy is red all the time, it is probably a rash.
35. If you could save all the times you blinked in one lifetime and use them all at once you will see blackness for 1.2 years.
That is one blackout you do not want to experience.
36. Your brain can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
Now this you can try.
37. A full head of hair has strength enough to support 12 tonnes.
Vasmol should rethink its tag line.
38. Only one person in two billion can live to be 116 years or older.
39. You can live without food for a month, but without water, you will only survive for a week.
Never take thirst lightly.
40. Just like your fingerprints, your tongue prints are unique as well.
In case you want to sign in a different way next time.
41. 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced every year.
If only some modification was possible.
42. If you went into space, don't worry about suffocating, you would explode first. That is because there's no air pressure.
Now you know how scared Sandra Bullock was.
43. Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.
So we are actually 50% desirable to minions as well.
44. Nails grow faster in summer than in winter.
45. And, men's nails grow faster than women's.
Ironic, isn't it?
46. Your blood travels 12,000 miles around your body in a single day.
Now I am confident this is why Ferrari chose red.
47. Your ribs move about 5 million times a year because of breathing.
That is a large but a very necessary number.
48. The light you emit in the dark is 1,000 times weaker than the light needed for the human eye to pick up. The term is bioluminescent.
Hence, ninjas are so successful.
49.You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
Please do not try this.
50. And last but not the least, your heart. It beats a magnificent 1,00,000 times a day.
It may skip a few when you see a gorgeous girl, but even then this is impressive.