Kishore Kumar, the legendary singer, actor, producer, director, and composer breathed life into songs through his soulful melodies. Even 31 years after his death, Kishore Kumar is still regarded as the playback singer supreme. On his 89th birth anniversary, we look at some of the lesser-known facts about the maestro.
1. Kishore Kumar was born as Abhas Kumar Ganguly in a Bengali family.
2. The multifaceted singer had never received any vocal training.
3. He sang in a number of Indian languages- Bengali, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Assamese, Malayalam, Oriya, and Kannada.
4. His first film as an actor was Shikari which was released in 1946. His first song to be featured in a film was Marne Ki Duayein Kyun Maangu.
5. He sang both the male and female parts for the song Aake Seedhi Lagi Dil Pe which was supposed to be sung by Lata Mangeshkar.
6. One of his popular songs Paanch Rupaiya Barah Aana was inspired by a debt that he owed to a college canteen in Indore.
7. Kishore Kumar's yodelling was inspired by Jimmie Rodgers and Tex Morton.
8. The singer, who was immensely popular among the youth, holds the record for winning 18 Filmfare Awards.
9. Kishore Kumar has an award named after him which is called 'Kishore Kumar Award'. It's awarded to people for contributions to Hindi Cinema.
10. Composer and artist Bappi Lahiri is Kishore Kumar’s nephew.
11. There used to be a signboard outside his bungalow that read ‘Beware of Kishore’.
The legendary singer will always be celebrated for his melodious voice and timeless tracks!