We’re getting old y’all. You know it when you go from reacting to your birthday with happiness to reacting to your next birthday with total despair. And if it hasn’t sunk it yet, there’s a whole host of events and anniversaries and other shit that’s just waiting to remind you.
Brace yourselves, this is gonna hurt.
1. The World Wide Web is turning 28 years old
The World Wide Web was launched by computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee on 6 August 1991. People had no idea what a revolutionary invention it would be, or the memes that it would lead to the creation of.
2. The Nokia Communicator is turning 25 years old
This one changed the game, and most of us at the time so our dads or their businessman-friends using them. With a full QWERTY keyboard and a giant display screen, the Communicator was revolutionary. And it’s also super old.
3. Contra is turning 30 years old
This iconic and ridiculously difficult to beat sheet ’em up was released on 20 February 1987. It was originally played on the Nintendo Entertainment System, though most of us Indian folk played it on our computers years later.
4. Andaz Apna Apna is turning 25 years old
It might not have been a hit when it released, but this slapstick comedy has become a cult classic over time. And for good reason.
5. The 1st episode of Vikram Aur Betaal is turning 30 years old
This was the show that scared the balls out of all us unsuspecting children. It probably gave me PTSD, and a penchant for always looking over my shoulder.
6. Suneeta Rao’s Pari Hoon Main is turning 28 years old
A beautiful track with a very haunting message in the video. This song is even older than I imagined.
7. The 1st episode of Zee Horror Show is turning 25 years old
At the time, this was one of the scariest things on TV. As with most horror on screen though, it can look pretty damn cheesy today.
8. The law that made weed illegal in India (NDPS Act ) is turning 32 years old
This was an Act introduced under pressure from the USA to comply with the UN convention on narcotic drugs. It effectively collated weed with much harder drugs like heroin.
9. The first few Onida Devil TV ads on Doordarshan are turning 29 years old
The early 80s saw the creation of these ads, and by the late 80s/early 90s, everyone knew who the Onida Devil was.
10. The movie Lamhe is turning 27 years old
Anil Kapoor and Sridevi starrer Lamhe released in 1991. It was one of the most forward-thinking movies of its times, and even led to Sridevi apparently getting an offer to star in a movie by Steven Spielberg.
11. The TV show Surabhi is turning 28 years old
This was the longest running cultural magazine TV show of that era. It ran from 1990 to 2001, and was anchored by the inimitable Siddharth Kak and Renuka Shahane.
*Cries in a corner*