Protests against the Jawaharlal Nehru University administration’s “lack of initiative and effort” towards finding missing student Najeeb Ahmad gained intensity as students confined Vice Chancellor M. Jagadesh Kumar and other top university officials to their offices from Wednesday afternoon till the wee hours of Thursday.

b’JNU Vice Chancellor, Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar/ Source: JNU website’

Eventually, the VC and officials were released later in the day. 

Najeeb has been missing since 11 a.m. on October 15 after an argument with students belonging to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad at the Mahi-Mandavi Hostel.

Meanwhile, students belonging to other organisations staged intense protests against the  Jawaharlal Nehru University Student’s Union’s (JNUSU) decision to call off the blockade at the campus today. 

While the students raised anti-JNUSU slogans after the deadlock ended, student outfits like BAPSA termed the union’s decision as “betrayal” done without any consultation from students.

At exactly 2:20 PM on Thursday, JNUSU President Mohit Pandey announced that the administration has agreed to file a formal complaint regarding the missing of JNU student through its Chief Security Officer.

“The administration has decided to initiate action against those involved in the assault on Ahmad by Saturday. The administration has diverted the attention from the movement of Justice for Najeeb to their illegal confinement and other allegations. We have decided to march to the Ministry of Home Affairs to press our demands,” Pandey told a gathering of students outside the admin building.

However as soon as Pandey broke out the news, students raised slogans against JNUSU nad termed it a “compromise.”

“We haven’t moved from here since last night and we are getting a compromise. It’s the matter of an individual who has been missing since last six days. How can they call off the blockade unilaterally? They should have consulted all the students,” a BAPSA student told ScoopWhoop News.

Immediately after the announcement,JNU VC Jagadesh Kumar and other officials left the building after university security guards made a human chain around him. However, the attempts of the students to stop him proved futile.

JNU Vice Chancellor and other senior officials of the administration continued to remain ‘illegally’ confined in the university’s administration building on Thursday after a series of overnight negotiations with the protesting students on the Wednesday night failed to end the deadlock.

The deadlock had also cast shadow on the scheduled Academic Council meeting of the university to be held at 2:30 PM today with students demanding postponement of the meeting.

At a protest demonstration on Wednesday against the disappearance of JNU student Najeeb Ahmad last week, the students arrived at a consensus to gherao the administration building following the JNU administration’s “insensitive and callous” attitude towards Ahmad’s disappearance after he had a brawl with ABVP students.

The protesting students broke out into two groups after the end of blockade.

The sloganeering against Leftist backed AISA-SFI alliance continued till this report was filed.

A Leftist alliance of AISA-SFI had won all the four posts of JNU students’ union elections held last month.