From its films to television series, advertisements and even music, America seems to be an oversexed country. But a new study reveals that Americans are actually having much less sex then they were having a decade ago.
According to this study, Americans had sex about nine fewer times each year in the early 2010s as compared to the late 1990s.
According to the study, the US has been experiencing a loss of sex drive in its adult populations, with adults indulging less in sex across the states, irrespective of geography, gender, race/ethnicity or marital status, New York Times quoted the report.
Here are a few statistics from the study to help you get a better picture:
- From the early 1990s into the early 2000s, Americans generally had sex from about 60 to 65 times a year. It remained so till the early 90s.
- The average started dropping post 2002. By 2010-14, the average number of time Americans engaged in coitus had dropped to below 55.
- Biggest decline came from married and live-in couples, though they still continue to beat single people.
- Married couples had sex an average of 56 times a year in 2014, as opposed to 67 times in 1989.
- Couples with kids under the age of 6 years had sex on an average of 81 times a year. The number was 69 and 62 for couples with kids in the 6-12 and 12-17 years age groups respectively.
- Couples with no kids had sex 47 times a year.
- Contrary to popular opinion, young people in the 18 to 29 years age group are having less sex than the same in previous generations.
- Senior citizens in America it seems, on the other hand, have found a new lease on life. People over 70 have been having more sex then ever before, with the average per year up to nearly 11 in 2014, up from an average of 9.6 times in 1989.
Why have Americans lost interest in sex?
The study cites technological advances and several cultural phenomena as a part of the reason that has led to the ebbing of the American sex drive.
Internet and toys
One of the biggest distractions leading to a loss of sexual appetite in Americans is the excessively easy access to electronic gadgets such as smartphones, laptops, smart TVs etc. Activities such as surfing the internet, downloading and using apps, binging on television series on Netflix, all have had a negative impact of sexual drive.
The average age for getting married has risen in the US, leading to more single people for a prolonged period. This way, people are having less sex as per people their age in previous generations because they are single.
According to a report in Quartz, the decrease in sex could also be correlated to the general happiness level of the people in the US, which according to studies, has been declining in the past 30 years.
However, while most studies link longer working hours to increased stress and unhappiness, this new study rejects it has anything to do with the decline in sexual activity.
According to the report, exposure or affinity for pornography (factors usually linked to declining intimacy among couples) and long working hours do not affect sex life since research has shown that both actually complement an active sex life.
Feature Image Source: Reuters (Representational)