Police on Monday claimed in the Delhi High Court that they could not carry out lie-detector tests on nine suspects in connection with the disappearance of JNU student Najeeb Ahmad, as none of them turned up despite notices served to them on several occasions.

Delhi Police contended before a bench of Justices G S Sistani and Vinod Goel that the “students should come forward and douse all the allegations being levelled so far against them in connection with the incident, otherwise it will raise doubt about their involvement”.

The court asked the students to not “feel insecure” and be “bold enough” to face the lie-detector test. 

b’Source: PTI’

“We (Delhi Polices Crime Branch) have issued them notice on different occasions, but they refused to accept it. We are even calling them on their mobile phone and have also sent WhatsApp messages, but they are not responding.

“Najeebs roommate, Mohd Qasim is also not cooperating in the investigation, due to which a needle of suspicion also goes towards him,” senior standing counsel Rahul Mehra, who was representing Delhi police, said.

He said that everybody should come forward and cooperate in the probe, so that the boy, who is missing for the last three-and-a-half months, is recovered.

b’Source: Facebook/Naushad MK’

He submitted that two out of the nine have even refused to give their house addresses when they were initially interrogated.

Senior advocate Sidharth Luthra, appearing for one of the students, opposed the police contention, saying his client has been cooperating with the investigation and was ready to appear before the agency, but the probe should be done in a fair manner.

The bench said that “practically if some person is given notice, he should come forward and then he can deny or accept that allegation”.

“No one should feel insecure. One should be bold enough to appear and go through the tests, if there is nothing to hide from anyone,” the bench said, adding that “we would hope that the State would make every effort to trace out the missing person”.

b’Source: ScoopWhoop/Swati Goel Sharma’

27-year-old Najeeb has been missing since October 15 last year after a scuffle at his JNU hostel allegedly with ABVP student activists the previous night. The RSS student’s wing has denied any involvement in his disappearance.

After the incident, Najeeb’s mother moved the high court with a habeas corpus plea seeking direction to the authorities to trace and produce her son.

The high court had ordered polygraph tests on the students with whom Najeeb got into a scuffle, his roommate and others who are not students of the university.

The court, however, had made it clear to Delhi Police that it will only subject the suspects to the test after getting their consent. 

(Feature image source: PTI)