Technology is really helpful, mostly. Although if not managed appropriately, it can prove dangerous, and at times fatal just like in this tragic incident from China.
A woman was using the escalator to conveniently make her way up in a departmental store, while holding a child in her arms. As soon as she reached the top and was about to step off the escalator, the metal panel under her feet gave way.
The woman fell into the void, and got dragged into the escalator even as employees desperately tried to pull her out. Fortunately she was able to hand her child over to one of the attendants just in the nick of time. It took hours for rescue teams to retrieve her body.
The tragedy has sparked off a social media outrage against the departmental store, but there has not been any response from the store. Authorities are investigating the case.