Goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu continues to bringing glory to the Indian football fraternity and to the nation. He has earlier created history by becoming the first Indian footballer to play for a first division European club as a goalkeeper.
And now, he has been selected in a team that will play in the Europa League next season.
He was part of Stabaek FC, who ensured a qualifying berth after winning the final round of the Norwegian League, also called Tippeligaen.
While speaking to The Times of India , Sandhu expressed his excitement by saying,”It’s an unbelievable feeling. It’s like someone has created magic, My teammates don’t realise what they have done for the team and me. When you think of where I came from, being part of Europa League is something you can only dream of,” added the 23-year old whose contract with the Norwegian outfit runs till 2017.
Here are some interesting facts about Sandhu:
1. Sandhu is a 23-year-old and plays as a goalkeeper.
2. He has played for India three times.
3. His last match was against Oman on October 2013. (World Cup qualifiers, Russia 2018)
4. Sandhu’s current club is Stabaek FC (Norway) which he joined on August 15, 2014 and his contract is till December 31, 2017.
5. His previous clubs are Kingfisher East Bengal (112 caps including all competitions) and Indian Arrows.
6. No of first team caps: 1; vs Runar in Sandefjord in a Cup game. No of reserve caps: 20
Based in Chandigarh, Sandhu is only the fifth Indian football player to play professionally in Europe. Earlier Mohammed Salim, Bhaichung Bhutia, Sunil Chhetri and Subrata Pal have been picked for European clubs. But only Salim has represented a top division club.
Sandhu’s achievements would not only help him grow as an individual player but also inspire all aspiring Indian footballers to improve their standards and bring glory to the country.