No matter what you become, or achieve, it is almost impossible to make your mother happy. Maybe because, they want, what they want.
A classic example of this is Nobel laureate Kenzaburo Oe’s mom’s response to him winning the Nobel Prize in Literature. The official Twitter handle of the Nobel Prize organisation, shared an anecdote narrated by Oe himself.
“As a child, I promised my mother I would win the Nobel Prize in Physics. 50 years later, I said to my mother, ‘See, I have kept my promise. I won the Nobel Prize.’ ‘No,’ said my mother, ‘You promised it would be in physics!'”— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) November 21, 2019
– Kenzaburo Oe, awarded the 1994 Literature Prize pic.twitter.com/aThggoO3vl
Literal translation of what Oe might be thinking while sharing this anecdote.
Yeah like, I can imagine his mom’s reaction when he must have told her ki main Literature mein Nobel Prize jeeta.
Now, this made everyone go, ‘same Bro, same’.
Typical Indian mom’s 😂🤦😍#nobelprize2019 https://t.co/BpysRBCj4n— Manjunath (@manjunathpatne) November 21, 2019
😂 🤦♀️ That’s a mother response that sounds about right … and I’m not Asian. Get a 97% on a test and top the class by far. “Well, what happened to the other 3%, you could have done better” 👀— Gloria K. Aggrey, MD (@GAggreyMD) November 21, 2019
Can't win with moms. 😂😂— Manini (@manini_india) November 22, 2019
He has to restart his career again in physics, 😲 it’s ok it’s never late.— Sandeep Saxena (@saxenasan) November 21, 2019
Sounds like my mother!— WolveinSoCal (@jzanier468) November 21, 2019
That’s some #mom goals— Naina (@NainaGowda) November 21, 2019
Think before promising to your mother. There are no shades…of any color— Raghuram Joshi (@rmjblr) November 22, 2019
Sharma Ji Ke bete ko physics me mila.— Praneet Bhikhta (@cellardarling) November 21, 2019
We feel you, Oe.