A suicide bomber killed at least six persons, including four soldiers, and injured several others in Pakistan’s eastern Lahore city when he blew himself up near an army vehicle today. The blast targeted a census team on Lahore’s Bedian Road.
The six killed included four army personnel, said Punjab government’s spokesman Malik Ahmed Khan, adding that as many as 14 people were injured in the explosion, Geo TV reported.
TV footages and photographs from the scene of the attack showed two vans and a motorcycle damaged by the explosion.
Allah Karam.. Another blast in Lahore.. Yah Allah Reham.. 😞😞😞Attack on Army and senses Personals #Lahoreblast pic.twitter.com/nd89PkVSOi— Waqas Amjad (@Waqas_amjad) April 5, 2017
The details about the attacker – whether he carried out the attack on foot or riding a motorcycle – were not immediately available. Rescue teams have reached the site and a security cordon has been put in place around the area.
No terrorist organisation has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, but Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said it appeared to be a terrorist attack, according to the report.
Lahore had been on a security high alert for a while. On February 23, a blast in an upscale area in Lahore killed eight people and injured 30 people.