It's finally official and India is going to get its first bullet train between Ahmedabad and Mumbai!
India has chosen to pick Japanese bullet trains on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route instead of the Chinese ones due to concerns over safety and other incentives from Japan.
The Rs 98,000 crore project cleared by the cabinet on Wednesday will be announced during Japanese premier Shinzo Abe's visit to India this week , a report said.
So what are the features of the new bullet train project?
- It will be one of the world's cheapest bullet train projects
- The train will hit a top speed of 320 km per hour. The fastest trains in India presently touch around 160 km per hour
The Hayabusa shinkansen or bullet train departs from Aomori station in Aomori, northern Japan. | Source: Reuters
- The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will fund up to 81 percent of the project which is expected to cost around Rs 98,000 crore
- The rail line should be ready by the end of 2023. Work is expected to begin by 2017.
- The train will reduce travel time between Mumbai and Ahmedabad to 2 hours. It takes around 7 hours presently .
- The fare for a one-way ticket may be Rs 2,800 , according to this report .
- The line will have 10 stations between Mumbai and Ahmedabad
Feature image source: Reuters