In yet another train accident, 38 people will killed and 150 injured on Friday, March 20. At around 9:30 am the engine and two coaches of Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed near Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
A high-level safety review committee, appointed by the Indian Railways in 2012, suggests in a report that almost 15,000 people die every year on India's train tracks .
Here is a look back into the major train tragedies that occurred in the last 10 years:
- February 13: Bangalore City-Ernakulam Intercity Express derailed near Anekal town in Bangalore, resulting in 12 deaths.
- June 25: Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express derailed in Bihar, killing 7 and injuring 8.
- May 27: 40 killed when Delhi Gorakhpur Gorakhdam Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh.
- May 4: Diva-Sawantwadi passenger train derailed in Raigad district, Maharashtra. It left 22 dead and over 145 injured.
- December 28: An air-conditioned coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express train caught fire near Andhra Pradesh, killing 26 people and injuring 13 others.
- November 2: Raigarh-Vijaywada express ran over 8 persons at Gotlam railway station in Andhra Pradesh.
- August 19: Rajya Rani Express ran over at least 35 people at the Dhamara station in Bihar.
- April 10: Muzaffarpur-Yesvantpur Weekly Express derailed near Chennai leaving one dead, 20 injured.
- May 22: 25 killed as Hampi Express collided with a stationary goods train in Andhra Pradesh.
- July 30: 35 passengers burnt to death and 25 critically injured after Delhi-Chennai Tamil Nadu Express caught fire in Andhra Pradesh.
- January 11: 5 killed and 9 injured as Delhi-bound Brahmaputra Mail and a stationary goods train collided in Jharkhand.
- November 22: 7 people charred to death when the Howrah-Dehradun Express caught fire in Jharkhand.
- July 10: Kalka Mail derailed in Uttar Pradesh leaving 71 dead .
- May 28: 148 people killed as Gyaneshwari Express derailed in West Bengal.
- September 20: Indore-Gwalior Intercity Express collided with a goods train killing at least 20 people in Madhya Pradesh.
- July 19: Uttar Banga Express rammed into Vananchal Express from behind at Sainthia station in West Bengal, killing 67.
- January 16: 3 died as Kalindi Express and Shram Shakti Express collided due to thick fog in Uttar Pradesh.
- February 13: Coromandel Express derailed near Jajpur Road station in Odisha, killing 15 .
- January 25: Kanpur-Allahabad passenger train hit a truck near Unchahar station, killing 12.
- October 21: 22 killed when Goa Express hit Mewad Express from behind near Mathura station.
- August 1: 32 killed after Secunderabad-Kakinada night train Gautami Express, with 360 passengers on board, caught fire in Warangal.
- December 14: Ludhiana-Ferozpur Express hit a mini bus in Punjab killing 16 people.
- February 18: 68 killed as the Delhi-Attari special train, Samjhauta Express was blown up by a terrorist group near Panipat in Haryana.
- December 1: 150-year-old 'Ulta Pul' bridge partially collapsed over a passing train in Bhagalpur, Bihar killing 35 passengers.